About the Block Parent® Program of Canada Inc.
For over 40 years, the Block Parent® Program has been helping to make our communities
safer. Throughout Canada, the red and white Block Parent® sign is a symbol
of a safe refuge where assistance is available. Police, government departments,
educators, sponsors and volunteers support the Block Parent® goal of providing
safer communities for children and other citizens.
The mission of the Block Parent® Program is to provide immediate assistance through a safety network and offer supportive community education programs.
The mandate of the Block Parent® Program is:
- to assure that there is a minimum of one Block Parent Window Sign in each
community (Business or residential); and
- to provide a network of security screened, easily recognizable safe homes
or businesses for members of the community, especially children, to
turn to in times of distress; and/or
- to educate children about the Block Parent® Program, safety on the streets
and within the home; and/or
- to develop promotions and materials to educate the community about the
Block Parent® Program and personal safety; and/or
- to work together with the police, school boards and other community groups
toward safer communities.
The Block Parent® Program of Canada Inc. (BPPCI) is an affiliation of 12 registered PRovincial and Territorial Block Parent® Programs, one from each Province and Territory. In turn, these committees have over 900 community members across Canada. Each committee operates the Block Parent® Program in accordance with the Bylaws and Policy of BPPCI.
BPPCI is a Canadian registered charity, Registration
Number: 89264 4477 RR0001. It is the largest volunteer operated child safety and crime prevention program in Canada.
What are the goals of the Program?
Block Parent® volunteers are working together to:
- expand the network of Block Parents until there are several Block Parent® homes on every block in every community in Canada; and
- teach children and adults streetproofing tips. Education is the first step to safety!
The first Block Parent® Program began in London, Ontario in 1968. The Program rapidly expanded across Canada over the next five years. In 1983 a national committee was formed and the Block Parent® Program of Canada became incorporated in 1986.
BPPCI operates in Canada with an affiliate in Belgium. Our Program is recognized internationally as a quality child safety program. We have assisted foreign governments and police forces in establishing similar child safety programs overseas and continue to respond to all requests for information.